By relying on the high concentration of ascorbic acid, vitamin C shower filters are an effective way to remove chlorine from shower water.
Highly rated vitamin C filters from brands like Sonaki, PureAction, AquaBliss, and others can remove up to 99.9% chlorine from shower water.
This means you can improve your skin and hair health by using a vitamin C shower filter, as chlorine is known to dry out both skin and hair.
Vitamin C Shower Filters Compared
Here’s a comparison of the vitamin C shower filters we reviewed:
|Vitamin C Shower Filter
|Replacement Filters Available
|Frequency of Replacement
|Sonaki Vitamin C Shower Filter SUF-100v
|AquaBliss Shower Filter AB-SF100
|10,000 – 12,000 gallons
|PureAction Vitamin C Shower Head Filter
|Transparent / Silver
|10,000 – 12,000 gallons
|AquaHomeGroup Luxury Filtered Shower Head
|10,000 – 12,000 gallons
|LIFLASH Vitamin C Shower Filter
|Transparent / Label
|Miniwell Vitamin C Filter Shower Head
Best Vitamin C Shower Filters
Here are the best vitamin C shower filters of 2024 currently available:
Our Expert Rating
98.4 / 100
Sonaki Vitamin C Shower Filter (SUF-100v)
The Sonaki Vitamin C Shower Filter is one of the most effective ways to remove chlorine and other impurities from your shower water. The user-friendly design means it’s easy to install and change filters, although the filters will need to be changed more frequently than other brands.
Founded in 1994, Sonaki sets the gold standard for vitamin C shower filters. This in-line shower filter effectively removes many impurities from your shower water, including chlorine, chloramines, particles, turbidity, rust, lead, copper, and heavy metals.
The user-friendly design allows you to simply attach the Sonaki shower filter to your existing shower head and easily change the filter once every 1,300 (or about 5,000 liters). Depending on the number of people using the shower in your household, that could be 4 to 8 weeks between filter changes.
Changing the filter may be more often than other brands, which can have you replacing the filter every 10,000 to 12,000 gallons, but the filters are inexpensive and relatively easy to change, thanks to the included wrench.
Plus, the requirement of a new filter ensures you get the full benefit of the vitamin C filtration system.
What customers are saying: Customers report that this shower filter effectively reduces chloramines and improves skin health, but some experienced leaks and cracked plastic. Additionally, some customers mentioned it doesn’t work well with hot water or soften water effectively.
- One of the most effective vitamin C shower filters on the market
- User-friendly design is easy to install and change filters
- Inexpensive replacement filters
- Included wrench helps with easy filter changes
- Filters need to be changed more frequently than other brands
Our Expert Rating
97.7 / 100
AquaBliss Shower Filter (AB-SF100)
The AquaBliss Shower Filter is an excellent choice for those who want multi-stage filtration without the hassle or expense of a whole-house system. The 12-stage filtration process is one of the most comprehensive on the market, and the filters are affordable and long-lasting.
With over 30,000 reviews on Amazon alone, the AB-SF100 is one of the most popular shower filters. We think this shower filter is ideal for those who want multi-stage filtration without the hassle or expense of a whole-house system.
The 12-stage filtration process removes sediment and other larger particles from the water. Next, it targets chlorine, chloramine, and other harmful chemicals and debris. In addition to having a Vitamin C filter, the AB-SF100 also includes activated carbon, redox media, calcium sulfate, tourmaline, zeolite, and several other media to remove impurities.
The result is clean, chlorine-free, and odor-free water that should help soften skin and retain moisture, reducing skin irritation by preventing dryness and flaking. Additionally, if you have color-treated hair, this shower filter should help preserve your hair color and make it look healthier.
Each filter should be replaced once every 10,000 to 12,000 gallons, which is about 4 to 6 months for the average household. Replacement filters cost, on average, approximately $16.00. Lastly, AquaBliss includes Teflon tape with this unit to make installation a breeze.
What customers are saying: Some customers face leakage issues with the filter while others appreciate its ability to improve water quality, resulting in healthier hair and skin, and reduced buildup on shower fixtures.
Read More: AquaBliss SF100 Review
- The 12-stage filtration process is one of the most comprehensive on the market.
- Vitamin C, activated carbon, and other media work together to remove impurities.
- Affordable and long-lasting filters
- Limited finish options
Our Expert Rating
96.3 / 100
PureAction Vitamin C Shower Head Filter (SH-158)
The PureAction Vitamin C Shower Head Filter is a fantastic option for people who don’t want to use a large in-line filter with their water filtration system. This shower head is easy to install, removes impurities, and comes with a 1-year warranty.
Rather than using an in-line shower filter, the PureAction Vitamin C Shower Head Filter directly replaces your shower head. This allows for effective water filtration without adding a bulky in-line filter.
But don’t let the small size let you think it’s any less effective than the other brands. The built-in filter will neutralize chlorine while significantly reducing chloramine, fluoride, heavy metals, bacteria, and other impurities.
While PureAction is a relatively new brand compared to Sonaki or Aquabliss, this shower head is backed by a 1-year warranty.
Users found that water pressure was not significantly reduced with this shower head and that it was easy to install. Additionally, dry, itchy skin was noticeably improved after using this shower head for some time.
The only complaints were that the housing for the filter cartridge is plastic and not metal like some of the other brands. Lastly, the PureAction Replacement Filters are available in various fragrances, including citrus, lemon, lavender, rose, and jasmine.
Pro Tip: Consider using this shower head and an in-line filter if you want cleaner water.
What customers are saying: Customers rave about the product’s ability to eliminate unpleasant water odors and its easy installation. Some criticize issues with the shower head staying in place, leakage, and cracking over time.
- The built-in filter will neutralize chlorine
- 1-year warranty
- Easy to install
- Housing for the filter cartridge is plastic
To make your bathroom look like a spa, you need the AquaHomeGroup Luxury Filtered Shower Head. This shower head oozes luxury with a premium metal casing and a chrome finish.
But it’s not just a pretty face. This shower head is an in-body filtration system that relies on vitamin C to neutralize chlorine added to your tap water by the water treatment plant. This filtration system will remove other impurities as well.
Despite the luxury appearance, the shower head is half the price of some other brands. However, with the affordable price point, there are some compromises. First, the brand is relatively unknown when compared to the others. Additionally, this shower head has no spray settings, which may be a tough sell if you have low water pressure.
What customers are saying: This Vitamin C shower filter is praised for improving hair quality, skin condition, and water pressure. However, some customers experienced issues with leakage and refund processing.
- Premium metal casing and a chrome finish
- The filtration system relies on vitamin C to neutralize chlorine
- No spray settings
- Relatively unknown brand
Our Expert Rating
93.8 / 100
LIFLASH Vitamin C Shower Filter
The LIFLASH Vitamin C Shower Filter is a one-of-a-kind in-line shower filter with an aromatherapy chamber and a vitamin C filter. This shower head is perfect for people who want to relax with a pleasant-smelling shower or improve their skin condition.
While some in-line shower filters are specifically designed to remove all odors – even the good ones – from your water, the LIFLASH Vitamin C Shower Filter is designed to do the opposite.
This in-line shower filter has a unique aromatherapy chamber that packs intoxicating scents. While the scent options are limited, they are all quite pleasant. The available scents include Summer Citrus, Botanic Garden, and Morning in Bali – a blend of coconut oil, jojoba oil, rosehip oil, and hibiscus extract. The fragrance provides a pleasant way to start your day or relax after a long day.
Aside from the aromatherapy chamber, this in-line shower filter also has a vitamin C filter to help remove chlorine and other impurities from your water.
The combination of the two filtration methods makes this one of the best-smelling shower heads on the market, along with one that will quickly improve dry skin, skin rashes, and other skin irritations.
What customers are saying: Many customers enjoy the pleasant scent and feel that the shower filter improves their shower experience, making their skin feel softer and eliminating unwanted smells. However, some find the fragrance too subtle, while others think it doesn’t last long.
- A unique aromatherapy chamber that packs some intoxicating scents
- Vitamin C filter to help remove chlorine and other impurities from your water
- Wish there were even more scents to choose from
Our Expert Rating
91.9 / 100
Miniwell Vitamin C Filter Shower Head
The Miniwell Vitamin C Filter Shower Head is a budget shower filter that works just as well as some leading brands. Able to quickly filter cold and hot water, the filter media does a great job at removing chlorine, iron, rust, sediments, and other organic matter.
Miniwell proves that you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg to access clean filtered shower water. This affordable option still uses vitamin C to remove chlorine from your water while also filtering out other impurities, including iron, rust, sediments, and other organic manner.
One feature that people love about this shower filter is a transparent window to see when the filter needs to be replaced. Unlike other brands, including Sonaki, AquaBliss, or AquaHomeGroup, you don’t need to guess when to replace the filter – you’ll know exactly when it needs to be changed. Simply look through the window and if it’s time to replace the filter, then do so.
Lastly, since Miniwell is a new brand, replacement filter cartridges may be difficult to find.
What customers are saying: This shower filter is generally praised for its easy installation, effectiveness at removing chlorine, and being portable for travelers. However, some buyers encountered issues with product durability and clogging.
- Vitamin C filter to remove chlorine from your water
- Transparent window to see when the filter needs to be replaced
- Replacement filter cartridges may be difficult to find
What to Look for When Buying a Vitamin C Shower Filter
Here are a few key factors to keep in mind when choosing a Vitamin C shower filter:
- Type: When shopping for a Vitamin C shower filter, you’ll first need to decide which kind of filter you want. There are two types of Vitamin C filters – in-line and shower head attachment. In-line filters are installed between your shower head and the wall, while shower head attachments screw onto the end of your shower.
- Finish: The finish of your shower filter is important because it must match the rest of your bathroom fixtures. The most popular finishes for shower filters are chrome and brushed nickel.
- Filtration Media: When water touches Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in the form of a disc or alkaline ceramic balls, the chlorine will be neutralized, rendering it harmless. Aside from this direct contact, some companies add other filtration media, including KDF, calcium sulfite, or activated carbon which will help remove other impurities from your water.
- Filter Replacement: Depending on the filter media used, you’ll need to replace your filter at varying intervals. Be sure to check the owner’s manual of your shower filter to see how often the filter will need to be replaced. More frequent changing of the filter may lead to higher lifetime costs.
- Number of Filters: Most Vitamin C shower filters have just one filter, but some have up to 15 different stages of filtration. Generally speaking, the more filters your shower has, the cleaner your water will be.
- Warranty: It’s always important to check the warranty of any product before making a purchase, and shower filters are no different. Some companies offer lifetime warranties, while others only offer one year.
- Price: Vitamin C shower filters range from $20 to $70. The type of filter, the number of stages of filtration, and the warranty will all play a role in how much your shower filter costs.
What to Have on Hand When Installing a Vitamin C Shower Filter
To install a Vitamin C shower filter, you’ll need the following items:
- Teflon tape
- Adjustable wrench or pliers
Before you begin, it’s essential to read the owner’s manual of your shower filter. This will give you specific instructions on how to install your particular model.
- Turn off the water in your shower.
- Remove the shower head by unscrewing it from the shower arm. Be sure to use a cloth to avoid scratching the finish.
- Wrap Teflon tape around the shower arm threads.
- Screw on the shower filter. Hand tighten only. Do not overtighten as this may damage the filter.
- Reattach your shower head and turn on the water. Allow the water to run for a few minutes to clear out any sediment that may have been stirred up during installation.
Frequently Asked Questions
When buying a vitamin c shower filter, here are some common questions that shoppers have:
How does a vitamin c shower filter work?
A vitamin c shower filter works by using ascorbic acid to neutralize chlorine. This is usually done by having the water come into contact with a disc or balls that contain the ascorbic acid.
Do I need a vitamin c shower filter?
This is a personal preference. Some people enjoy the taste and odor-free water a vitamin c shower filter provides. Others may not notice a difference.
Will a vitamin c shower filter make hard water soft?
No, a vitamin c shower filter will not soften hard water. To soften hard water, you’ll need a water softener that provides an ion exchange that eliminates calcium and magnesium ions from the water.
Will a shower filter reduce water pressure?
No, a shower filter will not reduce water pressure. Some people believe that shower filters can increase water pressure by removing sediment from the water.